Health and Safety Policy
The Health and Safety of your child is very important to me and I have therefore documented the following procedures that I have in place to support this.
- All toys will be checked and cleaned regularly to ensure they are safe for your child to use. Any broken or hazardous toys will be removed immediately. Children will only be offered toys and resources that are suitable for their age/stage of development
- I do a quick risk assessment of my home every morning before the children arrive to ensure that it is a safe environment for minded children
- All plug sockets not in use have socket covers
- All equipment will be checked and cleaned regularly. All equipment is fitted with the correct safety harnesses to prevent accidents, for example highchair and pushchairs.
- Car seats are checked regularly to ensure they are correctly fitted. If necessary I will get them checked with the Road Safety Team at the In Car Safety Centre or Safety Centre. I will never use a second hand car seat, as I do not know its history.
- My car is regularly serviced and MOT. I keep the safety locks on the back doors working. My car insurance is for Business use.
- I use safety equipment appropriate for the children in my care, ie stair gates, cupboard locks etc. These are checked regularly.
- I will keep my front door locked with the keys on a hook up high to prevent the children opening the door to strangers.
- I have procedures in place in the event of a fire (see separate policy)
- I keep my kitchen very clean, following hygiene guidelines on the storing of food, keeping the fridge at the correct temperature etc
- I ensure that the children do not have access to any waste, the bins are emptied daily and any used nappies are double wrapped and placed in the outdoor rubbish bin.
- I do not permit smoking in my home (see separate policy)
- I follow strict hygiene guidelines to prevent contamination (see separate policy)
- I have strict Child protection guidelines in place (see separate policy)
- Children must stay with me when we are away from the home. Younger child will be strapped in a pushchair, older children will either be on a harness or wrist strap, or holding onto my hand/pushchair.
- I have emergency contact details with me at all times should I need to contact the parents.
- I will work with you to teach the children about safety issues like crossing the road and stranger danger.
- I will work with you to teach the children about making healthy food choices and physical exercise.
- Sleeping children will be regularly monitored and I use a baby monitor as well
- I discourage the children from keeping ‘secrets’
- I will restrain a child if they are putting themselves or others in danger, for example running into a road.
If you have any concerns regarding the health and safety of your child please discuss them with me.